1. What is an online renewal?
An online renewal means you do not need to visit a driver’s license office to renew your North Dakota regular Class D or DM driver’s license. Simply follow the instructions on the NDDOT website, complete the application, attach the required vision results, and submit your payment via credit card.
2. What are the requirements to be eligible to renew online?
You must be at least 21 years of age and have renewed in person at least once since the issuance of your first license and be under 65 years of age. Your driver’s license cannot be expired for more than one year, your license cannot be suspended, revoked, or cancelled, and you must meet all vision and medical requirements.
3. How often can I renew online?
You can renew online every other renewal cycle only. For example, if you renew online this time, you will have to visit a driver’s license office the next time.
4. How much does it cost?
The fee is the same as a renewal processed at a driver’s license office. The cost of a regular Class D or DM driver’s license renewal is $15. There is no additional fee for renewing online.
5. What photo will be used?
The photo that is on your current license will be used on the new license.
6. How long does it take to receive the new license?
It could take up to 10 business days.
7. Can I renew my commercial license online?
No. Online renewal is authorized for regular Class D or DM licenses only.
8. What methods of payment are accepted?
Credit card payment only. We accept Visa, MasterCard, and Discover.
9. Is there an age requirement?
Yes, you must be at least 21 years of age and have renewed in person at least once since the issuance of your first license and be under 65 years of age.
10. Can I add the Veteran’s Indicator when I renew online?
No. The Veteran’s Indicator requires you to appear in person and present the appropriate form from your County Veteran’s Service Officer.
11. What information can I change when renewing online?
You cannot make any changes when renewing online. If you need something changed from what appears on your current license, you will need to visit a driver’s license office.
12. Can I cancel the application after I finish the online transaction?
Once you submit your application and payment, the transaction will not be cancelled. There are no refunds allowed.
13. Can I renew another person’s driver license online?
14. I have a Temporary driver’s license. Can I renew online?
No. You must visit a driver’s license office and present your documents to prove legal presence and duration of stay in the United States. This also applies to 2 year Permanent Resident Card holders.