Find information about how to replace a lost or stolen driver license online or at an North Dakota Driver License Site, including the types of ID and documentation you'll need.
Replace Your License Online
If you know your driver license information, you can request a duplicate license online to avoid wait times.
- You will need to provide proof of resident address if your address has changed. See below for a list of acceptable proof of residence documents.
- In order to obtain a duplicate license, you must still be a resident of North Dakota, and your driving privileges cannot be currently suspended, revoked or cancelled.
- If you would like to obtain an initial Real ID document, you must visit a ND Driver License Site.
The following documents are acceptable Proof of North Dakota Residence:
- Most current government-issued property tax statement
- Current mortgage, lease, or rental document
- Current homeowners/renters insurance policy
- Current utility bill (electricity, gas, water, sewer, cable, recycle)
- School/college transcript issued within 6 months
- Current financial statement (issued by financial institution, government entity, or government-regulated entity)
- Current pay stub or statement from employer
- Current vehicle insurance policy/statement
- Current resident certificate issued by a North Dakota Tribal Agency
- Current formal resident statement issued by property owner/renter
- Current relief Agency or Shelter Certification
Note: A parent can provide proof of residency documents for a minor child (under 18).
Replace Your License at a ND Driver License Site
If you choose, you can visit a ND Driver License Site to obtain a duplicate license.
- You will need to provide proof of resident address if your address has changed. See above for a list of acceptable proof of residence documents.
- In order to obtain a duplicate license at a ND Driver License Site, you must still be a resident of North Dakota, and your driving privileges cannot be currently suspended, revoked or cancelled.
- You will need to present identification in order to obtain a duplicate license. See below for a list of acceptable identification documents.
- If you would like to obtain an initial Real ID document, you will need to present the required Real ID Documentation.
- Please make an appointment prior to your visit (if available at the site you are planning to visit).
The following are acceptable identification documents:
- U.S. Birth Certificate (state-certified; government-issued [includes U.S. Territories])
- Canadian Birth Certificate if one parent has a place of birth listed as Canada
- U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport Card (must be valid and unexpired)
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad (U.S. Government-Issued; certificate or FS240 seal required)
- Valid foreign passport with I-94 card or I-551 stamp
- U.S. Active Duty/Retiree/Reservist Military ID card
- U.S. Court Order for adoption containing the legal name and date of birth (court seal required)
- North Dakota state-issued permit, driver license or ID card
- The following unexpired immigration documents:
- Dependent military identification card
- Concealed weapons permit
- TWIC, NEXUS, or SENTRI card
- Social Security Card
- Certified School Records and transcript or current school yearbook
- Vehicle title or registration
- Court- or state (government)-issued marriage certificate, divorce decree or name change (Court seal required. No photocopies.)
- Medicare or Medicaid Card
- Military discharge (Form DD-214)
- Selective Service Card
- Current junior high or high school photo ID card
- Employee photo ID card
- Pilot's license
- Tribal ID card
- Driver Education certificate
See ND Driver License Sites for locations, days/hours of operation and phone numbers.
If you are a North Dakota resident and are temporarily away (e.g., snowbirds, full-time college students, traveling or on vacation), we may be able to assist you in getting a duplicate license by mail.
Please email your request, license number and out-of-state address to us. to determine eligibility to obtain a duplicate license by mail. The fee for a duplicate license is $8.