On this page, you will find information about requesting a copy of your driving record, defensive driving courses for point reduction, alcohol offenses, requesting an administrative hearing, paying a reinstatement fee, requesting a temporary restricted license (work permit), SR-22 insurance requirements and more.


Check Your Reinstatement Requirements

Driver License Pay Reinstatement Fee/Outstanding Requirements System

You can view your outstanding reinstatement requirements online.  Once all requirements have been met and required time has been served you are eligible to be reinstated.


Request a Copy of Your Driving Record

For a complete copy of your driving record, use the following form: Request for Driver Abstract (SFN 51386). You can also submit an Online Driving Record Request, but note that this is a limited driving record only.

For a complete copy of your driving record, you must complete SFN 51386 and mail payment to:

Driver License Division
608 E. Boulevard Ave
Bismarck, ND 58505-0750

Request an Administrative Hearing

You can request an administrative hearing in writing or by submitting an Online Administrative Hearing Request.

Highway patrol pulling over an SUV on Interstate 94.

Request Reinstatement of a Lifetime CDL Disqualification

Use the following form: Lifetime CDL Disqualification Reinstatement (SFN 61105). If you have any questions regarding the application process or the Lifetime CDL Disqualification Reinstatement program, please email us.

How to Apply for a Temporary Restricted License (TRL/Work Permit)

How to Apply for a Temporary Restricted License (TRL/Work Permit)

A TRL is a restricted license issued to persons whose driving privileges have been suspended or revoked for certain offenses. A TRL authorizes the operation of a non-commercial motor vehicle for work purposes, educational purposes, or the need to perform essential life maintenance needs. By law, the driver must serve a portion of the suspension with no type of restricted driving privileges. This timeframe varies depending on the reason for the suspension.

A TRL will not be granted for:

  • Anyone under the age of 18
  • Operating commercial motor vehicles

Apply for a TRL

Use the following form: TRL Application (SFN 2254).

Submit TRL applications here

24/7 Sobriety Program Requirements for a TRL

If an offender has been charged with or convicted of a second or subsequent violation of section 39-08-01 or equivalent ordinance, and not subject to an unrelated suspension or revocation, a TRL shall be issued upon the restriction that the offender participate in the 24/7 Sobriety Program. If the offender violates the restrictions of the 24/7 Sobriety Program, the TRL will be canceled and not reissued.

See 24/7 Sobriety Program Form (SFN 60363).


Reinstatement Fee Amounts and Payment Options

Reinstatement Fees

Reinstatement Fees

According to state law, the Driver’s License Division may not release any suspended driving privileges without first collecting a processing charge called a reinstatement fee. The amount for a reinstatement fee will vary depending on the nature of your suspension.

Accordion Section Title
$25 Suspension Fee
  • Fail to File Medical Report
  • Fail to File Visual Report
  • Fail to Meet Medical Requirements
  • Fail to Meet Visual Requirements
  • Fail to Take/Pass Test
Accordion Section Title
$50 Suspension Fee
  • Fail to Appear/Post Bond
  • Fail to Provide Proof of Insurance
  • Fail to Pay Fine/Serve Sentence
  • Fail to Maintain Liability Insurance
  • Fail to Pay Child Support
  • Accumulation of 12 or More Points
  • Driving Under Suspension
Accordion Section Title
$100 Suspension Fee
  • BAC Over the Legal Limits
  • Physical Control
  • Implied Consent 
  • Refusal
  • Driving Under Revocation
Accordion Section Title
Pay By Mail

Mail check or money order payable to:

Driver License Division
608 E. Blvd Ave
Bismarck, ND 58505

Accordion Section Title
Pay By Phone

You may pay your reinstatement fee by phone using a debit or credit card.

  • For medical/vision or re-examination related suspensions call 701-328-4353.
  • All other suspensions must call 701-328-2604.
Accordion Section Title
Pay Online

Paying online may be an option.

  • For all medical and re-examination related suspensions you must call 701-328-4353.
  • Paying online may be an option for all other suspensions.
  • You are required to pay the full amount using either a credit or debit card.
  • You will need your name, driver identification number and credit/debit card information.
  • You must pay the full amount of either $50 or $100.

Pay Online Now

There are further instructions on the payment page.

Driver License FAQs

Driver License FAQs
Accordion Section Title
Suspensions, Revocations, Restrictions and Violations

What is an order of suspension?

This is the director’s official notification that action is being taken against your driving privileges. It explains how long your driving privileges will be suspended for and why (a DUI conviction, having too many points, no insurance, etc.). It will also tell you what reinstatement requirements must be met before your driving privileges can be reinstated.

What is the difference between suspension and revocation?

If your privileges are suspended, you will get driving privileges back after the period of suspension time has been completed and all reinstatement requirements have been met. If your driving privileges are revoked, you must complete the revocation period, meet all the reinstatement requirements, and take the written and road tests again before having valid driving privileges restored.

What is the minor's cancellation?

If you are under the age of 18 and accumulate six or more points on your driving record or commit an alcohol-related or drug-related offense while operating a motor vehicle, your permit or license will be cancelled. You will then be required to start all over again as if you have never had a permit or license before. This includes the written test, vision test, parent’s permission, obtain an Instruction permit, hold the permit at least 12 months if you are under the age of 16 or at least 6 months if you are under the age of 18, and complete drivers education prior to being allowed to road test for the license.

Can you get a work permit for a youth under the age of 18 who has lost their license due to too many points?

No. Youths under the age of 18 are not eligible to get a work permit.

What is a temporary restricted license?

A temporary restricted license may be issued to individuals 18 years and older whose driving privileges are suspended. It allows limited driving to specific days and times. Certain requirements must be met in order to qualify for temporary restricted driving privileges.

What is the difference between a limited driving record and a complete driving record?

A limited driving record will include your current point total but will not include violations or convictions that are more than three years old or crash information.  A limited record can be obtained online. A complete record will include your current point total, violations and convictions that are more than three years old and crash information.  The complete record can only be obtained by submitting SFN 51386 - Request for Driver Abstract and a $3 fee to the Driver License Division.

Additional Resources

Additional Resources
Accordion Section Title
SR-22 Insurance Requirements (High-Risk Insurance) or Proof of Financial Responsibility for the Future

An SR-22 can be purchased through your motor vehicle insurance provider. An SR-22 filing is needed for the following reasons:

  • Conviction for driving under the influence
  • Conviction for actual physical control
  • Conviction for driving under revocation
  • Conviction for driving under suspension when the length of the suspension period is for 91 or more days
  • For any crash where no insurance was in effect at the time of the crash
  • For a civil judgment arising from the operation of a motor vehicle crash
  • Conviction for manslaughter in which a motor vehicle is used
  • Conviction for negligent homicide in which a motor vehicle is used
  • Conviction for a felony in which a motor vehicle is used

Proof of financial responsibility must be kept on file with the director for 1 year from:

  • The date driving privileges are reinstated
  • The date a TRL is issued
  • The date of the motor vehicle crash in which there was no insurance in effect at the time of the crash
Accordion Section Title
Additional Information Regarding Alcohol Violations, Driving Privileges, and Points on Your Driving Record

When a driver accumulates twelve or more points on their driving record, their driving privileges are suspended for 7 days for every point over eleven. Drivers are eligible to take a defensive driver training course to reduce their total points by three, once every 12 months. A driver training course can also be taken "in lieu of points" being entered on your driving record for some violations with five or fewer points.

Approved driver training courses, also known as Defensive Driving Courses, can be found on the Driver License Points Schedule page.

Contact Us

Contact Us

Send us an email

Phone: 701-328-2604 
Hours: M, T, Th, F; 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.

Drivers License Division 
608 E. Boulevard Ave 
Bismarck, ND 58505-0750