When do the new plates come out?
- Issuance of the new plate will begin in the fall of 2015 and go through June 2017.
- The plate replacement will follow the renewal process.
- Distribution of all new plates will take over a year and a half to complete.
What plate will be replaced?
- Plates affected are the 6” x 12” General Issue Plate.
- Current Plates Poster
What plates will not be affected?
- The National Guard, Lewis and Clark, Antique and POW plates are not affected at this time.
- The smaller 4 x 7 plates such as motorcycle, trailer plates, etc. are not affected at this time.
Why are we getting new plates?
- Current plate has been in place for 22 years. Some of these plates are deteriorating and losing the reflectivity.
Will I be able to keep my plate number?
- That information is not available at this time, NDDOT is currently working on a number of policy issues regarding the distribution of the plates and other factors related to processing the new plates.
- More details on the process of obtaining your plate will be distributed at a later date.
Will I have to pay more money for the new plate?
- At this time there are no additional costs intended to citizens to obtain the new license plates.
What is different about the new plate?
- The new plate is a flat plate rather than the embossed plate that is currently in circulation. The metal sheeting material remains the same.
For more questions please contact us