Motor Vehicle - FAQs

Motor Vehicle - Frequently Asked Questions

For Non-Motor Vehicle FAQs, visit these other pages:

Search Criteria


•   1. Who qualifies for mobility impaired parking privileges?

Any qualified individual who completes the application and obtains certification by a qualified physician for one or more of the following reasons:
• Applicant uses portable oxygen; or
• Applicant has an orthopedic, neurological, or other medical condition that makes it impossible to walk 200 feet without assistance or rest; or
• Applicant is restricted by cardiac, pulmonary, or vascular disease from walking 200 feet without rest; or
• Applicant has a forced expiratory volume of less than one liter for one second or an arterial oxygen tension of less than 60 millimeter of mercury on room air while at rest and is classified III or IV by standards for cardiac disease set by the American Heart Association.

•   2. Who else, besides my physician, can sign the application?

• A chiropractor,
• Physician’s assistant, or
• An advanced practice registered nurse may sign the application.

•   3. What types of mobility impaired parking placards are available?

• Permanent non-reversible condition placard (blue) which does not require the applicant to contact a physician to renew the permit.
• Permanent reversible condition placard (blue) which does require the applicant to contact a physician to complete a new application upon expiration.
• Temporary condition placard (red) which is issued for a period of three months at a time.

•   4. Where do I receive a mobility impaired parking placard or license plate?

All motor vehicle licensing divisions issue permanent and temporary parking placards. In addition, they will also issue mobility impaired license plates to qualifying applicants.

•   5. Can I receive a mobility impaired parking placard or plates at the Driver’s License Division?

No. License plates and placards are only available at the motor vehicle locations.

•   6. Where are the application forms available?

Application forms are available at all motor vehicle locations.
• Individual - SFN 2886 Application for Mobility-Impaired Parking Permit
• Application for Care Providers Mobility Impaired Parking Permits SFN 54306 Application for Care Providers Mobility Impaired Parking Permits

•   7. What is required to receive a permanent (blue) mobility impaired parking placard?

A completed application must be submitted to a motor vehicle location. You and your physician must sign and date the application. Permanent placards are issued at no charge with a limit of two placards per applicant.

•   8. How do I display my parking placard?

• Parking placards must be hung from the rearview mirror of the motor vehicle whenever the vehicle is occupying a space reserved for the mobility impaired and is being used by a mobility-impaired person or another person for the purposes of transporting the mobility impaired person.
• No part of the placard may be obscured.
• The permit must be removed when the vehicle is in operation.

•   9. How often do I need to renew my permanent mobility impaired placard, and will I receive a renewal notification prior to its expiration?

The permanent privilege must be renewed every three years on December 31. Before the placard expires, a renewal notice including instructions will be mailed to you.

•   10. What is required to get a temporary (red) mobility impaired placard?

• A completed application must be submitted to a motor vehicle location.
• A qualifying applicant and the physician must sign and date the application.
• A fee is required for each placard, with a limit of two per applicant.

•   11. How long can I use a temporary placard, and is the temporary placard renewable?

• Temporary (red) placards are issued in three month increments.
• The temporary placard is NOT renewable. You must obtain a new application with your physician’s signature to re-apply for a new placard.

•   12. I have two permanent placards and want mobility impaired plates on my vehicle. What do I need to do?

• One of your placards must be surrendered to any motor vehicle location.
• Before Mobility Impaired plates can be displayed on a vehicle, the vehicle must be titled in your name.
• The fee for mobility impaired plates is required.

•   13. I have a temporary placard. Can I get mobility impaired plates for my vehicles?

No, only applicants who have permanent placards may obtain mobility impaired license plates.

•   14. Can I only use my placard in vehicles I own?

No. You can use your placard in any vehicle of which you are the driver or a passenger.

•   15. If I have mobility impaired plates on my vehicle do I need a placard?

Yes. You must have at least one valid placard in your name; however, you do not need to display the placard when parking in a designated parking space.

•   16. I have DAV plates. Can I park in a mobility impaired parking space?

• Yes. The Disabled American Veteran plates allow for mobility impaired parking privileges without a parking placard in North Dakota.
• A DAV Mobility Impaired designed plate is available; however the owner must qualify under both the DAV and mobility impaired requirements.

•   17. How many mobility impaired plates and placards can I receive?

• You can either receive two parking placards, or
• One placard and a set of plates for any vehicles titled in your name.

•   18. I’ve lost or had one of my placards stolen. How do I obtain a replacement?

• You will need to send in a written request identifying the number of the placard that is missing and a replacement fee is required.
• You may obtain replacements by mail or in person at any motor vehicle location. (additional fees may apply at branch office locations)

•   19. What is the penalty for providing false information on an application for a mobility impaired placard?

• A physician who provides a false statement that a person is mobility impaired for the purpose of that person obtaining a certificate is guilty of an infraction for which a minimum fine of $100 must be imposed.

•   20. What is the penalty for an individual who abuses mobility impaired parking privileges?

• If a law enforcement officer finds that the placard is being improperly used, the officer may report the violation to the motor vehicle director. The director may in his/her discretion, remove the parking privilege.
• Any person who is not mobility impaired and exercises the privilege granted to a mobility impaired person is guilty of an infraction for which a fine of $100 is imposed.

•   21. Can I have a mobility impaired placard for North Dakota and an out of state driver’s license or identification card?

• Yes. The mobility impaired placard is used solely for the purpose of matching the privilege to the privilege holder. A different process and documents are required for issuing a North Dakota driver license or identification card.

•   22. When I am visiting North Dakota, can I use my mobility impaired placard or license plates issued in my home state?


•   23.Will my North Dakota placards be honored in other states?


•   24. Who do I contact for information on the appropriate signing and marking of mobility impaired parking spaces?

• You would need to contact the City Administration office in your area.