Roadside Advertising Information

Roadside Advertising (Billboard) Information

If you are interested in erecting a commercial outdoor advertising sign along one of our many state highways, you will need to obtain a permit from the North Dakota Department of Transportation (NDDOT).

To be eligible for permitting, a commercial outdoor advertising sign must be located on private property zoned for commercial or industrial use. Signs must observe certain spacing.

A general summary of requirements may be found in:

Contact the NDDOT District Office in your area to determine if the location you want is legally permissible.

If it is, the District Office will give you a:

When applying for a permit, please be sure to observe the following important points:

  • For each sign to be permitted, a separate application will need to be completed in the entirety, observing all instructions appearing on the application form.
  • The “ZONING” portion of the application MUST be completed, signed, and dated by the local zoning authority as per the instructions on the application form.
  • Each application must be accompanied by the required $50.00 application fee.
  • VERY IMPORTANT:  NDDOT is not able to process an incomplete application.  Applications that do not meet the above three requirements are incomplete and will be returned to the applicant unprocessed.


Additional Contact Information

For additional information, contact:
Greg F. Doll
NDDOT - Maintenance Division
608 East Boulevard Avenue
Bismarck, ND  58505-0700
Contact Greg
Phone: 701-328-2613

district map

District Contact Information