Phone: (701) 328-4539 or (701) 328-4378
New Specification for Material Source Approval
- Environmental Protection and Cultural Resource Preservation Responsibilities
- Material Source Approval Request Form and Example
Programmatic Agreement for Tribal Consultation
This document is the result of discussions during consultation between the North Dakota Department of Transportation (NDDOT), the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) and the Tribes identified within agreement.
Solicitation of Views (SOV) Letter to State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO)
If 106 is completed in Milestone and you have a letter from SHPO concurring in a determination for the project, no formal SOV of SHPO is necessary unless the project has changed in a way that may affect that determination.
SOV instructions in Design Manual, Appendix II-04 C: Chapter II (Page 2) .
If you find cultural resources during a NDDOT project
For projects where we believe the potential for discoveries is good, the Cultural Resource Section (CRS) puts a Discovery Plan in-place prior to construction. If you have a Discovery situation and a Discovery Plan is in-place, follow the procedures outlined in the plan. If you are unsure what to do, the following would always be appropriate:
- If you have a discovery situation:
- STOP - Protect the discovery and contact Cultural Resources Section at phone number or email address above.
- If you discover a burial:
- STOP - Protect the burial and contact Cultural Resources Section at phone number or email address above.
- NOTE: The ND State burial law has strict time and reporting requirements. It is imperative that your notification to the NDDOT CRS be prompt and that the burial is well protected.
Avoidance of Cultural Resource Sites (CRS)
- CHECK THE PCR FOR ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS! CHECK TO SEE IF THESE ARE PART OF THE PLANS! If there are unevaluated or eligible sites on your project the PCR may document the need to fence these resources during construction to ensure avoidance. Check with Cultural Resources Section to clarify
- Material source avoidance measures shall be strictly enforced
- Fencing of sites to ensure avoidance during construction/extraction activities
- Steel fence posts
- Snow fence (unless otherwise documented through CRS contact)
- On Projects Districts should coordinate fencing with CRS
- On Material Sources Contractor and/or District should coordinate fencing with CRS
- CRS must be present during fencing activities
- Fencing will not be removed until all construction/extraction activities have been completed.