Replace a Lost or Stolen License
I am in state and lost my driver license
- An ND Drivers License Site must be visited to make an application for a duplicate.
- In order to obtain a duplicate, you must still be a resident of North Dakota and provide proper proof of identity.
Applicants must produce one of the following documents
- U.S. Birth Certificate (State certified; Government-Issued [includes U.S. Territories])
- Canadian Birth Certificate IF one of the parents has a place of birth listed as Canada
- U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport Card, must be valid and unexpired.
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad (U.S. Government-Issued) (Certificate or FS240-seal required)
- Valid Foreign Passport with I-94 card or I-551 stamp
- U.S. Active Duty/Retiree/Reservist Military ID card
- U.S. Court Order for adoption containing the legal name and date of birth (Court seal required)
- North Dakota state issued permit, driver license or ID card
- The following unexpired immigration documents:
- Dependent military identification card
- Concealed weapons permit
- TWIC, NEXUS, or SENTRI card
- Social Security Card
- Certified School Records and transcript or current school yearbook
- Vehicle title or registration
- Court or state (government) issued marriage certificate, divorce decree or name change (Court seal required. No photocopies)
- Medicare or Medicaid Card
- Military discharge (form DD-214)
- Selective Service Card
- Current Junior High or High school Photo ID Card
- Employee photo ID card
- Pilots license
- Tribal ID card
- Driver Education certificate
Where is the closest Driver’s License Site?
ND Drivers License Sites, locations, days/hours of operation and phone numbers.
I am out of state and lost my driver license.
If you are a North Dakota resident and are temporarily away (i.e. Snowbirds, full time college students, traveling or on vacation) we may be able to assist you in getting a duplicate license by mail. Please call our Central Office at 701.328.4353 to inquire about what is needed to obtain a duplicate license by mail.
How much does it cost to replace a Permit/License/ID Card?
The fee for a duplicate is $8.