Use the dropdown box to select a Topic. Click on questions below to see the associated answer.



1. What permit is applicable to my site?
There are two permits that might be applicable to a land disturbance site. Both are only applicable for sites larger than one acre. If the site is greater than an acre in size and on Tribal Land, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Construction General Permit is applicable. If the site is greater than an acre and on any land other than Tribal Land, the North Dakota Department of Health (NDDoH) Construction General Permit is applicable.

Please be aware that if your site contains land on both Tribal and Non-Tribal Lands, both permits are applicable and must be obtained before any work is done.
2. What agency can inspect my site?
3. What does a regulatory agency want to see during an inspection?
4. Isn’t the contractor the responsible party?
5. What is the MOA with the Health Department?
6. Is a SWPPP required on all projects?
7. What is an acceptable SWPPP?
8. What paperwork is required to be onsite during construction?
9. When should the SWPPP be updated?
10. Can the erosion and sediment controls in the plans or SWPPP be changed?
11. Who is responsible for the inspections required by the permit?
12. What is the difference between erosion controls and sediment controls?
13. What is the difference between temporary and permanent BMPs?
14. What is an acceptable BMP?
15. Are the BMPs in the plans the only ones that can be used?
16. Is keeping sediment from leaving the right of way enough?
17. When must you temporarily stabilize an area of the site?
18. Is it practical to mobilize erosion and sediment control subs multiple times?
19. What authority does the NDDOT have for enforcing erosion and sediment control on private land?
20. What is required to terminate the permit?
21. What if the NDDOT releases the contractor before terminating the permit? Who is responsible?