This page provides instructions for signing relating to recreational, tourist, and historical features along the North Dakota State Highway System. When the attraction to be signed is not visible from the highway, adequate signing must be provided and maintained by the requester to direct motorists to the attraction after leaving the state highway. Therefore, the applicant must submit this application through one of the following governmental agencies: Board of County Commissioners, City Government, and/or Bureau of Indian Affairs. This is to assure these agencies are aware of the possibility of additional signing on streets or roads under their jurisdiction. State and Federal agencies may submit an application directly to Tourist Signing Advisory Committee (TSAC) for property they control.
NDDOT or contractors hired by the NDDOT will only install signs on the State Highway System.
Any questions pertaining to these instructions, contact the Maintenance Division at (701) 328-2546.
A seven person signing committee will review the application and put it on a priority list if accepted.
Committee consists of the following:
1. ND Department of Transportation (Chairperson)
2. ND Department of Commerce Tourism Division
3. ND Parks & Recreation Department
4. ND State Historical Society
5. ND Game & Fish Department
6. Private Sector
The above committee will make recommendations to the NDDOT Director for those attractions to be signed and how the cost(s) will be shared by the requester. Costs and priority/rankings will be determined by national, statewide, or local importance. Must meet at least 2 of the categories.
Criteria for priority/ranking is as follows:
National: Access to: Interstate, Interregional, State Corridor, District Corridor or District Collector roadways from a distance of 50 miles or less.
- Attendance: 25,000 or greater
- Daily operations: 8 hours per day 7 days per week
- Annual operations: May through September (minimum). Operations open year around will have preference.
Statewide: Access to: Interstate, Interregional, State Corridor, District Corridor, or District Collector roadways from a distance of 50 miles or less.
- Attendance: 10,000 or greater but less than 25,000
- Daily operations: 8 hours per day 6 days per week
- Annual operations: May through September (minimum)
Local: Access to: Interegional, State Corridor, District Corridor, or District Collector roadways from a distance of 15 miles or less.
- Attendance: 2,000 or greater but less than 10,000
- Daily operations: At least 6 hours per day 5 days per week
- Annual operations: Minimum of 5 months (cumulative)
Costs will be determined by ranking as follows:
- National NDDOT 100% Other 0%
- Statewide NDDOT 50% Other 50%
- Local NDDOT 0% Other 100%
The application will be handled in the following manner:
1. The Secretary for TSAC will review the elements of the application and submit findings to the TSAC.
2. The TSAC will review the signing request and develop a priority list to be presented to the NDDOT Director for approval.
3. Notification will be sent to the applicant upon NDDOT Director’s decision.
The TSAC will meet at a minimum of twice a year to review all incoming signing requests. Dates set are the first week of March and the last full week of August each year.
Send completed application to:
Tourist Signing Advisory Committee
North Dakota Department of Transportation
608 East Boulevard Avenue
Bismarck, ND 58505-0700