Transportation Enhancements (TE) are transportation-related activities that are designed to strengthen the cultural, aesthetic and environmental aspects of the Nation's intermodal transportation system. TE projects are divided into three categories:
Bicycle and Pedestrian Projects:
- The construction of bicycle and pedestrian facilities
- Preservation of abandoned railway corridors including the conversion for use as bicycle or pedestrian trail
- Provision of safety and educational activities for pedestrians and bicyclists.
Scenic and Environmental Projects:
- Scenic highway programs
- Landscaping and other scenic beautification
- Control and removal of outdoor advertising
- Tourist and welcome centers
- Environmental mitigation to address water pollution due to highway runoff or reduce vehicle-caused wildlife mortality while maintaining habitat connectivity.
- Historic highway programs
- Historic preservation, studies and/or rehabilitation and operation of historic transportation buildings, structures or facilities
- Establishment of transportation museums.