To apply for a Transportation Alternative Project use the Transportation Alternative Application Instructions. Please contact Local Government by one of the methods listed below.
Local Government Division
North Dakota Department of Transportation
608 East Boulevard Avenue
Bismarck, North Dakota 58505-0700
Phone: (701) 328- 4787
FAX: (701) 328-0310
Email: Local Government
The information requested on the application will be used for two purposes. Initially the application will be used to determine eligibility. If the project is eligible, the application will then be used in the project selection process and awarding of funds.
Eligible Project Applicants
1. City and County governments
2. Transit agencies
3. Natural resource or public land agencies
4. School districts, local education agencies, or schools
5. Tribal governments
6. Any other local or regional governmental entity with responsibility for or oversight of transportation or recreational trails.
Nonprofit Organizations must partner with an eligible project applicant.
Project applications must be submitted to the NDDOT through one of the following entities:
- A Board of County Commissioners for cities under 5,000 population
- A city over 5,000 population
- Bureau of Indian Affairs
- Transit Agencies
- Federal and State Agencies
All other eligible applicants including school districts and park districts need to partner with their respective city over 5,000 population or with their respective Board of County Commissioners if in a City under 5,000 population. All projects within the jurisdiction of a Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) need to be submitted to the MPO by their respective deadline for MPO approval and submittal to the NDDOT.
Projects in or near Grand Forks, Fargo/West Fargo, and Bismarck/Mandan/Lincoln metro areas must be submitted to the local MPO, with the MPO making submittal to NDDOT. If you are unsure if your project is within the MPO jurisdiction, contact the MPO office in your area. MPO contact information is as follows:
221 North 5th Street Bismarck, ND 58506
Fargo-Moorhead Council of Governments
Case Plaza Center Suite 232 1 2nd Street North Fargo, ND 58102
Grand Forks-East Grand Forks MPO
P.O. Box 5200 Grand Forks, ND 58206-5200
Projects in MPO jurisdictions must be submitted to the MPO’s and their submittal dates are as follows:
- Bismarck Mandan MPO 5:00 p.m. December 2, 2013
- Fargo-Moorhead Council of Governments 4:00 p.m. November 27, 2013
- Grand Forks/East Grand Forks 5:00 p.m. December 3, 2013
Submission and Selection Dates
Normally, Transportation Alternatives project selections will be made annually in March or April.
|Back to main TAP page|