Replace a Lost or Stolen License

Replace a Lost or Stolen License

I am in state and lost my driver license

  1. An ND Drivers License Site must be visited to make an application for a duplicate.
  2. You do need to provide proof of resident address if your address has changed. Here is a list of acceptable documents for proof of address.
  3. In order to obtain a duplicate, you must still be a resident of North Dakota and provide proper proof of identity.

Applicants must produce one of the following documents

  1. U.S. Birth Certificate (State certified; Government-Issued [includes U.S. Territories])
  2. Canadian Birth Certificate IF one of the parents has a place of birth listed as Canada
  3. U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport Card, must be valid and unexpired.
  4. Consular Report of Birth Abroad (U.S. Government-Issued) (Certificate or FS240-seal required)
  5. Valid Foreign Passport with I-94 card or I-551 stamp
  6. U.S. Active Duty/Retiree/Reservist Military ID card
  7. U.S. Court Order for adoption containing the legal name and date of birth (Court seal required)
  8. North Dakota state issued permit, driver license or ID card
  9. The following unexpired immigration documents:
  10. Dependent military identification card
  11. Concealed weapons permit
  12. TWIC, NEXUS, or SENTRI card
  13. Social Security Card
  14. Certified School Records and transcript or current school yearbook
  15. Vehicle title or registration
  16. Court or state (government) issued marriage certificate, divorce decree or name change (Court seal required. No photocopies)
  17. Medicare or Medicaid Card
  18. Military discharge (form DD-214)
  19. Selective Service Card
  20. Current Junior High or High school Photo ID Card
  21. Employee photo ID card
  22. Pilots license
  23. Tribal ID card
  24. Driver Education certificate

Where is the closest Driver’s License Site?

ND Drivers License Sites, locations, days/hours of operation and phone numbers.

I am out of state and lost my driver license.

If you are a North Dakota resident and are temporarily away (i.e. Snowbirds, full time college students, traveling or on vacation) we may be able to assist you in getting a duplicate license by mail. Please call our Central Office at 701.328.4353 to inquire about what is needed to obtain a duplicate license by mail.

How much does it cost to replace a Permit/License/ID Card?

The fee for a duplicate is $8.