License Information

Regular North Dakota Drivers License

To obtain a North Dakota operator's license, you must visit one of the Drivers License and Testing offices. No appointment is needed to take the written examination; however, you must have an appointment for a road test. Please notify the Drivers License Division if you change your address. Commercial license holders must obtain a duplicate license if there is a change of address. You may renew your drivers license 10 months prior to its expiration date without losing any of the time remaining on your current license. You must retest if your license is expired more than one year.

Age Requirements

The minimum driving age in North Dakota is 16. You may not drive in North Dakota if you are under 16, even if you are licensed in another state. However, a North Dakota resident can obtain a restricted license at the age of 15. A parent or legal guardian must sign for a minor under the age of 18 to be issued a permit or license.

If you are at least 14 years of age and wish to be identified as a donor on your operator's license, permit, or identification card, you may do so by signing the donor identification block on the application form.

Identification Requirements

As part of a nationwide effort to enhance the issuance of secure identification credentials, proof of current name, legal presence, and date of birth is required when applying for a North Dakota Permit, License, or Identification card. Out of state permits, licenses, and ID cards will not be accepted as proof of name, legal presence, and date of birth.

All applications for permit, license, or identification card must include a social security number. The social security number will be verified with the Social Security Administration. However, the social security number will not be used as the driver license or identification card number.

Acceptable Forms of Identification are:

1. U.S. Birth Certificate (state certified; Government-issued; includes U.S. territories).
2. Valid unexpired U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport Card
3. U.S. Government-issued Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Certificate or FS240-seal required).
4. Valid Foreign Passport with an I-94 card or an I-551 stamp.
5. U.S. Active Duty/Retiree/Reservist Military ID Card. (Dependant cards are not acceptable)
6. U.S. Court Order for adoption containing the legal name and date of birth (Court seal required). Divorce decree and marriage certificate are not acceptable for proof of date of birth.
7. North Dakota state issued permit, license, or ID card
8. The following Immigration documents (unexpired):
I-551 Resident Alien or Permanent Resident Card
I-766 Employment Authorization Card
N560 Certificate of Citizenship
N550 Certificate of Naturalization
I-94 card stamped Refugee, Asylee or Parolee

Only original documents and certified copies will be accepted. No photocopies. A court order or government issued marriage certificate is required for a name change. Several documents may be necessary in the event there has been more than one name change since birth.

North Dakota residents may obtain a non-driver photo identification card by visiting an automated driver license site. A fee of $8 and proof of current name, legal presence, and date of birth is required (see the above list of acceptable documents). There is no minimum age requirement.


Fees For ID Cards, Licenses, Permits, and Driving Tests.



Written test


Road test


Duplicate license

$8 or $3 for name or address change only

Non-commercial permit or license


Commercial permit or license

$15 plus $3 per endorsement

Non-driver photo ID card


Copy of Driving Record

To obtain a copy of your driving record, submit a written request and $3 fee.

Include your signature, full name, date of birth, driver ID number, and mailing address. Please include the reason for your request.

This request may be submitted via letter or the form for REQUEST FOR DRIVER ABSTRACT found under FORMS on the Driver and Vehicle Services
webpage. We have provided a direct link to the forms page below.

Drivers License Forms

Send request to:
Drivers License
608 E Boulevard Ave
Bismarck ND 58505-0700


Any person other than a nonresident student, a tourist, or a nonresident member of the Armed Forces who has lived in this state 90 consecutive days shall be deemed a resident of North Dakota for the purpose of driver licensing. You may use your non-commercial license from another state for a period of 60 days after you become a resident of North Dakota. You may use your commercial license from another state for a period of 30 days after you become a resident of North Dakota. Proof of North Dakota resident address may be required.

A North Dakota licensed driver who is a member of the Armed Forces and stationed out of state, may continue to use their non-commercial North Dakota driver license until 30 days after separation without renewing, provided the license is accompanied by military identification and has not been suspended, revoked, or cancelled. It is advised that you contact our office every four years to ensure your record remains on file with us. This extension does not apply to North Dakota military dependants. Upon return to state, the North Dakota license, Military ID Card, and proof of duty station must be presented to obtain a new license. Acceptable forms of proof of duty station are discharge orders (presented within 30 days of separation), leave papers, leave and earnings statement, PCS orders, or a letter from the duty station.

back to top